All new home learning activities can be found in the sub page 'Summer 2 Home Learning'. Here, you will find each week's learning activities for each subject area all in one place :)
Friday 19th June 2020
Happy Friday everyone! Here’s me still ‘clownin’ around in my zoom fancy dress 😂
As I am writing this, I have just realised that after 3 months, this will most probably be my last daily update for a while with us returning to school next week! This actually makes me quite emotional - it’s probably a good job I’ve added a very serious picture then! 🤣
I hope you are all ready to log on to Times Tables Rockstars - come on Y6, we need a win today to take the trophy 🏆 I will be one extremely happy teacher over the weekend if we can do this! I’ll be happy either way really but a win would make it that much better 😀 Well done to everyone who has taken part so far - it’s been great seeing more and more children joining in each day!
I hope you all have a great day. You should definitely try my sock and door challenge if you find yourself with a spare few minutes. It’s harder than it looks.
Have a very happy Friday. Keep smiling, stay positive and relax over the weekend 😃
Miss Stalker 🥳🥳🥳🥳
Thursday 18th June 2020
Good morning, 6S. It was absolutely awesome seeing most of you yesterday. I had a great time on our zoom call as always - I hope you did too 😃
I am sorry my quiz questions for so tricky but at least we all got to learn things we didn’t know about pandas, koalas and penguins!! 😂😂
Eva emailed me a picture straight after the zoom - it turns out that we did see the panda after all - it decided to show its face after we had all gone. Here’s Eva’s picture:
Make sure you go on the web cams today and have another look - it really is fascinating just watching the animals 🐼 🐨 🐧 🦁 🐯
Here’s a cute picture of little Bronxi just to put a smile on your face. If you don’t like cats then I’m sorry - you know I can’t help taking lots of pictures of her!
I have a busy few days now getting ready for your return to school but I am looking forward to seeing you (from a distance).
Have a brilliant day. Don’t forget to email me any completed work/challenges or activities you do at home.
Miss Stalker 😃🌈⭐️
Wednesday 17th June 2020
woohoooooooo! Today is zoom day and we all get to see each other- I can’t wait!
I hope you are as excited as I am 😃
It is also the day football ⚽️ returns so I have lots to be excited about today 😃
The third day of our Rockstar battle is also in full swing. It is 1-1 at the moment and I am really hoping we can take the crown today to put us in the lead - you know how competitive I am, 6S! Come on!!!
Look at the difference in scores from day 1 and day 2! Can we try and get more players involved today and get to 30,000?? A huge well done and thank you to all those who have joined in so far and an extra mention to Amy and Chloe who are consistently scoring in the top 3! 😃😃
I have added my challenge videos underneath today’s update just for a bit of fun - I enjoyed making them. Can you beat me? 😃⚽️🧦
I am going to go and make sure I am all set up and ready for our meeting now.
I will see you all very, very soon - although you might not recognise me 😉
Miss Stalker 😃⭐️🌈
Tuesday 16th June 2020
Morning! I hope you are all still smiling and feeling positive - you are are all amazing! I can't wait to see you all tomorrow on Zoom!
Today's times tables rockstar battled has started and Y5 are winning by lots of points at the moment. It is very early in the day and there's plenty of time for you all to login and earn those points to win.
Send me an email if you have forgotten your username and password for TT rockstars.
I also added a sports challenge yesterday (I was just playing around in the garden and decided to film myself ha ha) which you can find in Torrisholme TV - if you are a football fan you will enjoy trying to beat me on this one! If you find doing keep-ups tricky, see how long you can keep a balloon up in the air for only using your feet
I really hope to hear from you today - your challenge is to send me an email - this could be of your work or just to say hi. It makes me smile hearing from you so please get in touch.
I will see you all tomorrow - my fancy dress outfit is ready
Have a great day,
Monday 15th June 2020
Happy Monday morning, Class 6S. I am missing you all lots but I am really looking forward to seeing you all in our Zoom call on Wednesday at 11am! If you haven’t let me know that you will be joining us, please ask your parents to email me so I can add you to my list 😃 I really hope you all join me and remember to dig out some funky sunglasses, a silly hat, the face paints or fancy dress outfit so we can have a laugh 😆 If you don’t want to dress up, that is absolutely fine.
I have set up a times tables rockstar battle between Year 5 and Year 6 every day this week from 9am until 6pm - so get yourselves logged on and let’s try and win the battle! I will announce the winning year group at the end of each day. There will be an overall winner at the end of the week.
Also, this week, there are some special Edinburgh based Topic challenges to hopefully bring Edinburgh to you as we had to miss out on our residential. Don’t worry though, we will still all get to be together on Wednesday via Zoom and we will have lots of fun and a good chat then 😃😃
I hope you have a lovely day,
don’t forget to email me any work or activities that you have done at home so I can add pictures to our gallery on the webpage.
see you all soon,
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Friday 11th June 2020
Just a very quick hello today, 6S. I hope you have all had a lovely day. We have been busy in school and I have added a video of my tumblewing glider progress. I still need to get the glider to stay in the air!
Speak to you soon,
Wednesday 10th June 2020
Hiya, I’m in school from weds - fri this week now so I haven’t been able to write to you until now but it is definitely worth the wait as you get to see a picture of the cake I baked yesterday - yes, you heard that correct. I actually did some baking. Thank you very much to you all for the inspiration (all the cakes you’ve been sending pictures of look amazing) and thank you to Dylan B for the recipe for this Nutella cake. You might notice that I got a little bit carried away with the sprinkles but it tasted delicious 😋 I am going to try making a lemon drizzle cake next week!
What do you think?? If you’ve been cooking or baking recently, send me some pictures.
How has today’s learning been? If you got any questions wrong and you’re not sure how/why then please let me know - I’m here to help you and give you little tips to help you solve any problems. If you would like anything adding to the website (maybe an area you need more work on), please let me know.
I’m going for a sit down now before tea.
I’ll speak to you all soon
Miss Stalker 😃😃
Tuesday 9th June 2020
Hello! I hope you are all ok and are enjoying the much more structured learning activities this week. If you completed any of yesterday's work, please email me to let me know what you did and how you got on. If you need any more guidance with the activities, just let me know - I might not be with you in person but I am still always hear to help you when you need me!!
You will have noticed that we started our Titanic topic yesterday with a nice research challenge to ease you in and to help you familiarise yourself with the RMS Titanic cruise liner and its maiden voyage. How you present this research is entirely up to you and it would be great to see it. This will be followed (later in the week and next week) by a series of Topic lessons, activities and writing challenges all about the Titanic. We can't wait to see your work!
We have also added a fun tumblewing glider challenge on this morning for you to have a go at - if you are competitive, you will love this as their is a record flight time for us to beat! Can you beat it?
Find the challenge here - https://www.torrisholme.lancs.sch.uk/topic-challenges-3/
I am going to have a go - I will video it for you to see!
Enjoy your day,
I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
Monday 8th June 2020
Happy Monday, 6S. I have only just realised that I didn’t send you an update on Friday - I must’ve been so excited to see you all in our Zoom meeting that it completely slipped my mind. I’m sorry!
I hope you have all had a great weekend. Don’t forget to let me know what you have been up to and send me pictures. Here’s a few of my favourite pictures from our little walks this weekend plus a little sneaky one of Bronxi 😃
I haven’t made my cake yet but I will add a picture as soon as I do. I have been inspired to bake by the delicious cakes you’ve all been sending me - I’m sure you only send me those pictures to tease me as you know how much I love cake!! 😂😂
It was brilliant to see so many of you on Friday and listen to you all enjoying the games and chatting away. I hope you enjoyed it as much as Miss Thomas and I did 😀
All the resources for today’s learning have been uploaded to the Summer 2 Home Learning tab. We are starting a new Topic today so check it out. If you have any questions, just send me an email. I would love to see all your completed work so I can add it to the website.
I hope you all have a great day,
See you soon
Miss Stalker 🌈😃
Thursday 4th June
Helloooo. I am so very sorry for not writing to you all yesterday. I was a busy bee setting up your learning packs and didn't have chance! I am back now though :) However, I have woken up not being able to hear in one ear which is a little bit of a worry. I am glad we are not in school or you would have all taken advantage of me not being able to hear you! Hopefully, my hearing will return very soon.
Did you all receive your invitation to our second Zoom call? It is tomorrow so if you haven't already, please let me know if you will be joining us. I am looking forward to seeing you all again.
It was really lovely to hear from your parents yesterday that you have been completing the work on the website. It would be great to see what you have done so I can give you some feedback and feel like we are back in school just for a little while. I have added another comprehension (Beowulf) and Maths daily starters.
Today's Maths lesson's focus is 'volume of cubes and cuboids'. To follow on from this lesson, it might be great to make your own cubes and cuboids using different materials around the home or in the garden. Can you find the volume of them? Have fun!
I will see you all on the Zoom call tomorrow.
Stay safe, happy and keep smiling!
Bye for now,
Tuesday 2nd June 2020
Morning, it is another lovely day for lots of outdoor activities. It would be lovely to hear what you have all been up to. Hopefully, you have found where the home learning challenges are now. The whole week's activities and challenges are all in one place. Can you complete it all by Friday? If not, you can always come back to this week at another time to complete the activities.
If there is a particularly topic you would like us to set challenges for then please let us know via email and we will see what we can do :)
I was extremely excited yesterday when I heard the ice-cream van pull up right outside my house for the first time! This brought back many childhood memories. Here is a picture of my ice-cream ...
My brother-in-law has sent me some pictures of items that he has had restored to give them a new purpose. I was wondering if you could help me indentify their original purpose? Send me an email if you think you can identify what each item was originally used for?
I will be organising another Zoom meeting on Friday so tell your parents to watch out for the information to be sent to their emails in the next couple of days.
Enjoy your day, Class 6S. Missing you all lots and I will speak to you soon.
Monday 1st June 2020
Good afternoon Class 6S, I hope you all had an amazing half-term (did you even know that it was half-term last week??). I can’t believe how lucky we have been with the weather and it was great to hear how much time you have all be spending outside in the sunshine during our phone calls.
our class page has been updated with new challenges (science and geography based) and there are now new sub pages for Maths starters, weekly spellings, grammar activities and comprehension tasks. I will be updating these daily so you can structure your day to include all subjects. If there is anything else you would like, please email me and I’ll see what I can do 👍
Dint forget to email pictures of any challenges/ activities you do at home. It is always great to see what you have been up to!
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Tuesday 26th May 2020
Hello 6S (success). Did you all enjoy the long weekend? I hope you spent lots of time outside yesterday in the glorious sunshine. Gareth and I enjoyed playing boules in the garden - obviously I won!
Mrs Stembridge has set you all a brilliant two hour challenge - can you spend a whole 2 hours away from any electronic device (TV, tablet, phone, laptop etc). I am sure you can find lots of creative activities to do in the two hours instead. Send all your pictures of what you get up to to email@example.com. Also, take a selfie of you and all your family when you are together this week and send the picture in to Mrs Price for her 'silver lining' challenge.
I am continuing with my phone calls to you all today and tomorrow so I will speak to those of you who I haven's spoken to yet very soon.
Have a wonderful day,
Friday 22nd May 2020
Good morning Class 6S. I’m so sorry I didn’t update the page yesterday. I was in school and didn’t get chance but I’ve woken up a little earlier today so I’ve time to write a quick message before going to work.
I hope you are all ok and have had a great week.
I have now spoken to half of the class and it has been lovely hearing your voices and knowing how positive you are all being. I will continue ringing next week to make sure I speak to all of you. Don’t worry if you miss my call - I will keep trying on different days.
Friday is usually forfeit arithmetic Friday so if you visit https://www.satspapers.org.uk/Page.aspx?TId=5 you can find an arithmetic paper. Send your answers in to the year 6 email and I’ll mark them. They may not get marked until after 4pm just in case you are waiting.
I’ll speak to you all very soon,
Miss Stalker 😀🌈
Wednesday 20th May 2020
Good morning everyone. The lovely weather is back! I hope you are all having a great week so far. Please email me to let me know what you are all getting up to. I am really enjoying speaking to you all. I am making my phone calls in the afternoons just incase you are waiting to hear from me :)
Please remember to send me pictures of any work/ activities that you have been doing at home even if it isn't something from our website.
I have added 3 challenge boards on to the challenge page this morning - there are some great ideas on there and I would love to see the finished challenges.
Well done to everyone who are achieving their Mathletics certificates. I am having trouble saving your certificates at the moment but as soon as it allows me, I will put them on the website. The points being scored are amazing so keep it up!
Reminders of daily activities:
- weekly spellings
- purple mash grammar
- White Rose Maths daily lessons
- Times Tables Rockstars - can anyone else get their time under 1 minute?
Have a wonderful day, 6S. Speak to you soon.
Tuesday 19th May 2020
Hello, 6S. How are you all today? It was lovely to speak to some of you yesterday after such a long time and I am looking forward to today's phone calls.
I have changed where the challenges are going to go on our class page starting from today. There is a big home learning logo on the main page. From now on, any challenges will go in there so there is more flexibility to as and when they are added and when they can be completed rather than being part of a daily challenge. The first challenge to have been put on the new home learning page is a 'Ditloids' challenge. Not sure what one of those is? Then, get yourself on the new age and check it out!
I will continue to write my little daily updates and remind you of the white rose maths, problems of the day, weekly spellings, Mathletics, comprehensions etc but the main challenges will be in the main home learning challenges page.
Thank you for being such super stars. I continue to be extremely proud of you all even from a distance.
If you would need any help with anything, daily work ideas or just a chat, please email me.
I will speak to you all very soon. Have a lovely day.
Monday 18th May 2020
Good morning, 6S. Happy Monday! I hope you all had a lovely weekend and enjoyed the nice weather as it now seems to have disappeared! Never mind, we will not let the weather 'dampen' our spirits today.
I have a few challenges for you today and I will also start making my phone calls to you all later this morning. I will be going in order of the register and will be making 5/6 phone calls a day so you will probably be able to work out when you are going to hear from me. Make sure you have lots to tell me about what fun you have been having at home. I am really looking forward to speaking to you all.
1. Year 6 in 10 reflective challenge - last week, I asked you to think about your top 10 moments in Year 6 so this week I have attached a template to make this a little more focussed for you. Click on document below, think very carefully about your time in Year 6, fill in the document and email it back to me :)
2. Family Crest Challenge - It’s a mark of honour to have your own coat of arms. A family crest tells everyone who you are and what’s important to you. So a lion shows that you’re brave and pens mean that you like writing.
I would like you to create your own coat of arms, showing what’s important to you. It might be family, computer games, baking, gardening – all of the things that you’ve chosen to fill your spare time with lately. It might be what you’ve accomplished in school and what you’re looking forward to in the future. This link has some ideas http://www.heraldryforkids.com/ but feel free to add your own.
You might want to research your family crest and what it means. See how far back your family name stretches or where it originates.
3. Abstract Noun spellings - these can be found in the weekly spellings tab on our class page. What is an abstract noun? Can you think of 15 more abstract nouns to add to your spelling list?
4. White Rose Maths - this week's lessons are a recap of what you already know. The powerpoint lesson is still available but the worksheets are no longer available without a subscription. If you would like a worksheet to match the lesson objective, please email me and I will send you one.
5. Mathletics - continue achieving points on Mathletics. It is fantastic to see how well you are all doing. Try and complete all the tasks I have set you :)
I think there's enough there to keep you busy on this rainy Monday.
I will speak to you all very soon. Have a lovely day.
Friday 15th May 2020
Woohooooo! It is Friday and today you should all be having your 'End of SATs Party'
You only hve one challenge today and that is to have FUN!
I absolutely LOVED receiving all of your challenge pictures and videos this week. Thank you very much for making me laugh on a daily basis and making me feel as proud as I would've done in the classroom with you all.
I am really looking forward to seeing you all at 2pm later and I will be ringing to speak to you all next week - so make sure you have lots to tell me, including how much you are missing me ;)
- continue to think about your top 10 Year 6 moments and email them to me. It is always great to know what you have all enjoyed.
See you all very very soon,
Thursday 14th May 2020
good morning, 6S. I hope you are all ok today and still smiling. Well done to everyone who completed the movie picture quiz round yesterday - you all know your movies that’s for sure! What do you think of today’s challenge? I can’t wait to see videos and pictures of you conpleting your taskmaster challenges!
- Round 4 - taskmaster challenges
- Let’s be reflective - I would like you to have a think about your time in Year 6. What have been your 10 favourite things about your year? This might include specific lessons, Topics (WW2, Ancient Greece, Africa, traditional tales week), trips (Imperial war museum, the evacuation experience), funny moments, reading books, achievements, improvements and successes and of course teacher 😉😉. I would really like to hear what your top 10 year 6 moments are so if you could have a think back through your year, write down your top 10 and email it to me that would be fantastic.
Have a lovely day. Miss you all but I’ll see all your smiley faces very very soon!
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Wednesday 13th May 2020
Morning. Happy Wednesday. I hope you all enjoy round 3 - I think you'll find this one much easier than yesterday! The quiz was hard but you all did brilliantly. Thank you to the children who have already emailed me your answers. I am looking at your answers and putting your pictures on the website but instead of replying individually to everyone, I will put the answers on to our class page again at 4pm.
Tomorrow's round is much more practical and I am looking forward to seeing the results.
Today, you would have been doing your arithmetic and first reasoning paper - which you would've smashed!
1. Round 3 - movie picture quiz - please send your answers and photos to the email and I will put them on the website.
2. Spend 1 hour and 15 minutes doing something you have never done before - let me know what you do!
3. I have attached an arithmetic paper just in case you wanted to see how you would've done if you had done it this morning for real! You have 30 minutes to finish. Send me your answers and I will mark it - full marks = forfeit for me!
4. Don't forget to go on Mathletics. I would love to see the first silver certificate!
Have a wonderful day and I am looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Tuesday 12th May
Morning, 6S. Are you ready for round 2??
Thank you so much for all your scavenger hunt answers and pictures yesterday - they were fantastic. What did you all think of the video? If you haven't seen it yet, then click the link now - you don't want to miss this! You are all superstars!
- Round 2 - today's round is a general knowledge quiz - all you have to do is answer all 20 questions and send your answers in to the year 6 email. However, I would like to make it more interesting. I am adding a couple of new rules:
1. Write the answer to each question with a different body part touching the floor (elbow, knee, foot, head, hand, back etc)
2. For every question you answer, add an item of clothing (you should be wearing 20 additional items of clothing by the end :) )
3. Make sure someone is taking pictures of you to give me a laugh!
Easy! I can't wait to see today's challenge being completed.
- You would've been doing your reading test right now so I would like you to spend a whole hour doing something that you have never done before! -
I will post the answers to the general knowledge quiz on here at 4pm today.
- I have just recently noticed that Bronxi likes to imitate herself by posing next to her own picture - she is a real life copycat! What funny things have you noticed that your pets like to do since you’ve been at home more recently? Let me know and send pictures so we can create a pet files gallery.
Have a wonderful day and cntinue to spread a smile and happiness around your household.
See you soon,
Monday 11th May
Welcome to SATs Week and do I have a treat for you - it can be found here
Thank you to each and every single one of you for your wonderful contributions towards this amazing Year 6 lockdown video - it is sure to be remembered for a very long time.
You hopefully have also received your SATs celebration packs today so we can all have fun this week together.
I just want you all to know that I am extremely proud of all of you for how hard you have worked this year and that we do not need a test to prove this to us. Thank you for being you and please remember that you are all wonderful and we miss you!
Today is round one of our SATs week celebration challenge
Round 1 - Around the Home Scavenger Hunt
This will be in your pack but I have attached it below.
Please send pictures of your completed challenge in to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can create a SATs celebration week gallery
You would have been doing your SPaG test today - instead, I would like you to spend 45 minutes doing something you have never done before!
I hope you enjoy the Year 6 video and today's challenges. Make sure you walk with your hed held extra high today and feel extremely proud of yourselves! I can't wait to hear from you all.
Thursday 7th May 2020
Morning. Can you believe today would've been our last school day before you started your SATs on Monday?!? I hope you feel ready ha ha!
I am a little late this morning as I have been very busy - I think it was the earliest I have been out of bed all lockdown! Thank you all very much for your videos - they are brilliant and bring a huge smile to my face when I watch them.
1. White Rose Maths - you know how much I love Maths and how much I think you are all brilliant mathematicians so you can't miss your maths lesson today ;)
2. Continue with the VE day project set yesteday - can you make bunting for your house? My neighbours have bunting up and it looks brilliant. I would like some myself.
3. 30 minutes reading in the sunshine (wear suncream though - its warm out there!)
4. STAS (SATS backwards) - as you do not have your SATs to do, Miss Thomas thought it would be a good idea for you to write SATs style questions for me to answer!!! Can you write a SPAG, reading, arithmetic and reasoning test for me to answer each day next week?? Monday = SPaG, Tuesday = reading, Wednesday = Arithmetic and Thursday = reasoning. I am giving you the weekend to think of questions that you think will catch me out just like I have done many of times in the classroom ;)
5. Enjoy the sunshine, enjoy the bank holiday weekend and have lots of fun! :)
I hope to see you very very soon, 6S. Missing you all!
Wednesday 6th May
Happy Wednesday, 6S.
How are those videos coming along?? Keep sending them in - it’s great seeing you all and the completed video is looking fantastic. My editing skills are pretty good now too! I am using film maker pro (a free app) and its really easy and fun to use so I’m adding it to your challenges today.
1. On Friday, countries around the world will celebrate VE Day. This is so important that the government moved the early May bank holiday to Friday, the 75th anniversary. I want you to find out why. Add to your World War 2 learning from before Christmas. You might find out:
how your family / street / town celebrated VE Day;
what people such as Colonel Tom, Dame Vera Lynn, Queen Elizabeth II or Winston Churchill did in WWII that makes them still famous today;
why we still commemorate these events 75 years later when fewer people remember them.
https://visitlancaster.org.uk/lancaster-at-home/celebrate-ve-day-at-home/ or https://exploremorecambebay.org.uk/morecambe-bay-at-home/celebrate-ve-day-at-home/ are great places to start for local history.
Take time over the next few days to do this in depth. Bonus points for beautiful handwriting and drawings (not just cut and paste). Let me know how you celebrated VE Day this year. Please email your work to email@example.com and I'll put it on the class webpage next week. Have fun,
2. Spellings - silent letters.
3. White Rose Maths - fractions
4. 30 minutes reading
5. Create your own video from home - this can be as creative as you like. Can you edit your video? Can you add text? Can you add music?
Have a great day. MSee you all soon.
Miss Stalker 😃
Tuesday 5th May 2020
Hi 6S, how are you all? I hope you are all still as amazing as ever!
You may have seen from our class page that I was scrolling through our class pictures yesterday and it made me feel quite sad ☹️
So, it’s your job to cheer me up today!
1. Write a funny short story that will have me laughing out loud!
2. Think of 1 thing you can do today that will have me howling with laughter - take a picture, video it and send it into me 😃
3. Create a comedy sketch, book, picture etc
4. Send you aeroplane videos to me for our video
5. Compete in the indoor athletics competition - video below. How quickly can you complete the events.
I would love it if you could also complete today’s White arise Maths lesson, read for 30 minutes and complete a comprehension. If you would like anymore comprehensions sent to you, just send me an snail to let me know. Don’t forget that I have a Read Theory login first you so please just email for your details
Have a great day - I can’t wait to be cheered up by you all.
Miss Stalker 🌈😃
Monday 4th May 2020
Hellooooo! I hope you have all had a wonderful weekend - we have been very lucky with the weather. Let's hope the sunshine lasts - it definitely makes me feel much happier while at home.
1. White Rose Maths - Lesson 1 - this week's focus is fractions and we all love fractions!!
2. Spellings - this week's spellings are words with silent letters and they are saved in the 'spellings' tab on the class page.
3. I am also challenging you to find 20 more words which include silent letters. Can you learn how to spell them all?
4. Compete in my Stay At Home Indoor Athletics Competition challenge which has just been put on Facebook and it will be saved on Torrisholme TV on my Sport challenge channel. Good luck!!
5. Hopefully, you have all received your email about the special Y6 Lockdown video. If you haven't done your video yet, it is on today's challenge list to remind you ;)
Have a great day and I am looking forward to receiving all of your videos.
Stay safe and happy.
Friday 1st May 2020
Happy Friday, 6S!!
Today, forfeit Friday arithmetic returns. Answer all the questions correctly and you can choose a forfeit of your choice - as you have seen from the video yesterday some of them are causing a bit of embarrassment for myself and others I am still trying to master but I will take on anything you throw at me!
Don't forget to email me with your answers - including working out, please . I will mark your work and let you know your mark. Today's arithmetic is a little more challenging than last week's as I have written it myself and you know how much I like to try and catch you out so take care and think back to all the strtaegies you have been taught!
As well as the Maths challenges, here's a few other things I would like you to do today:
1. Arithmetic Challenge
2. Thunder and Lighning Challenge - Find out for me why I heard thunder and lightning from home yesterday. Create a diagram and write an explanation. You could also have a go at making a model which demonstrtaes why we have thunder and lightning!
3. I would like you to do a comprehension text - we love our whole class guided reading and I am really missing it. If you would like me to email you a more difficult text with questions or you would just like something different sending to you, then please let me know. I have lots of comprehension texts here that I can send to you :)
I also have one more exciting thing planned for you and your parents will receive an email about it today so keep an eye out for it!
Have a great day, 6s. Missing you all very much and can't wait to hear from you all today.
Thursday 30th April 2020
Hello, 6S (success), I hope you are all ok and still smiling even though the sun has disappeared.
Today, is a very special day. It is Tom Moore's 100th birthday so today's challenges are all to mark this special day of an incredible, insirational man.
1. Walk 100 laps around your garden.
2. Write, only using 100 words, how Tom Moore has inspired everyone during this time - this can be a paragraph or a poem - but only 100 words!
3. Design a birthday card or a poster for Tom Moore and stick it in your window for everyone to see during the clap for key workers tonight.
4. Think of something creative that you can do 100 times around the house throughout the day.
5. Answer my Tom Moore special Maths problem using his date of birth. The digits can be used in any order - you do not need to keep them as 30, 4, 1920 - they can be mixed up however you want but ALL the digits MUST be used in your calculation ;)
Wednesday 29th April
Morning, 6S. Sorry I am a little bit later this morning.
So, I have been set 3 forfeits from the children who completed the arithmetic challenge on Friday and got full marks :)
The forfeits include:
1. No chocolate for a full day - I don't know how, but I managed this yesterday and I am so proud of myself. Thank you, Emily. I might try and do a whole week next!
2. To spin around a stick 10 times and then try and kick a ball into a goal (set by Amy) - well, this one isn't going too well as I can't even spin around the stick 3 times without falling over. Amy has told me that as I am finding this tricky, I can spin around less times so I will try this again today!
3. To see how many keep-ups I can do just on my LEFT foot in one minute (set by Chloe) - you all know I am quite good at doing keep-ups but I can only use my left foot every so often to knock the ball back on to my right foot so this is an extremely tricky challenge. I am going to spend a few days practising this one before I embarrass myself in a video :)
If you would like to set me a forfeit, then scroll down this page and find Friday's arithmetic challenge. Answer the questions, showing all your working out as proof, and send the answers to me. I will mark it and let you know what mark you get! A bit of maths fun to gain the opportunity to embarrass your teacher!
I have also been challenged by Eva to hula hoop for 1 WHOLE minute!! Again, I am finding this tricky and I can currently only manage about 2 seconds and I have been practising for a week!!
You all clearly know me very well because ALL of your challenges are things I find really difficult!!
1. Run a mile (around the garden, living room etc) This can be done all at once or throughout the day :)
2. White Rose Maths - today's lesson is problem solving
3. Spellings - lists are in the weekly spelling tab on the class page - you are to learn BOTH sets of words. How many different creative ways can you find to learn your spellings at home.
4. 30 minutes reading - find 10 new words and find out their meaning in context, find a synonym and an antonym for each word. If you replace the word with the antonym in the sentence, how does it change the meaning? Email me your new words so I can add them to our class page word wall.
5. Create your own unique creature - draw your creature and think about all its unique features and what they are used for. Create an information page about your creature organised into sub-headings - I have attached an example below on an animal called the tongo lizard.
Enjoy these challeges, Class 6S.
Email me through any work you complete.
Stay in touch and have a lovely day.
Tuesday 28th April
Hello. Happy Tuesday, Class 6S. How did you get on with yesterday’s challenges? I would love to see some of your completed work. I hope the 5 challenges help you start to structure your day a little bit more. Remember, everything you do as part of your home learning will help you consolidate what we did in the classroom and help you prepare for high school.
If there is anything specifically you want to practise from home, maybe it is something you keep making mistakes with, then please email me and let me know and I can send you some ideas/resources to help you.
11am - minutes silence to remember all the key workers who have lost their lives as a result of Covid-19. #neverforgotten
Challenge 1: fitness workout
Challenge 2: White Rose Maths Lesson 2
Challenge 3: reading comprehension time (30 minutes) - Read Theory, SAT buster or comprehension pack resources (there’s a link attached to yesterday’s update)
Challenge 4: Writing task - choose the most tense/exciting part of your favourite film and write that part of the story. Try to include short sentences for effect, powerful verbs, varied sentence openers, varied sentence structures (don’t always start with a fronted adverbial), advanced punctuation and remember to describe sounds, what can be seen, emotions do not tell the reader - make the reader guess and want to read on. Don’t forget to edit your work. These short stories will be published and read out by me on Torrisholme TV.
Challenge 5: Art- Observational drawing of an object of your choice - try to include all the detail you can see on the object.
Enjoy completing these challenges and please don’t forget to email with any completed work - I’d love to see them as I miss seeing all your wonderful work on a daily basis!
Have a great day,
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Monday 27th April 2020
Good morning. We are now in to our 6th week of being at home and 4th week of home learning (excluding the Easter holidays). I hope you are all managing to keep busy during your days and it has been great to hear from so many of you. As you’ve been at home a while now, I thought that instead of a daily challenge, I will give you a list of challenges for you to complete during each day. This may help you and your parents structure your day, especially if you are creating a daily timetable.
Challenge 1: Joe Wicks/Mr Huntington workout.
Challenge 2: Complete today's daily Maths lesson on White Rose Maths - flashback 4 starter, teaching video and questions are all included.
Challenge 3: Reading comprehension - this could either be one from your Reading SAT Buster, 20/30 minutes on Read Theory (you will need to email me for your login details) or there is a link to comprehension texts underneath this daily update.
Challenge 4: Spelling practice - I have saved 2 lists of spellings for this week in the weekly spellings tab on the class page. Can you find creative ways to learn your spellings at home? An idea could be to find items around the house which start with each letter in the word you are spelling.
Challenge 5: Investigate what happens to your heart rate during exercise and write an explanation as to why this happens showing your scientific understanding and your understanding of the circulatory system.
I hope you enjoy completing all or just some of today’s challenges.
Don’t forget to visit Mathletics, email me for your Read Theory login details and have a look at the BBC bite size home learning lessons.
Have a great day and I hope to hear from you all.
Friday 24th April
The big Friday forfeit arithmetic challenge is here!
All you have to do is click on the word document below and answer all 36 questions correctly to score 40/40 - there must be written evidence of the questions and proof that you have not used a calculator or Alexa - I know how easy and tempting that is when you are at home!
If you can score full marks (40), you can choose any forfeit for me to do (as long as it is sensible and manageable to do from home )
When you have completed your arithmetic questions, email me your answers or a picture of your answers (including working out) and I will let you know what score you get and whether you can give me a forfeit - it is that easy! You are all amazing at Maths so I am quite worried about how many forfeits I am going to have to do!!
Thursday 23rd April 2020
Hello. I hope you are all ok, safe and happy. It has been amazing receiving more and more emails from you all this week - please keep them coming.
I hope I am going to hear you all clapping at 8pm tonight!
Well done to everyone playing on Mathletics - we now have 5 bronze award achievers!
I am going to film a new sports challenge for my Torrisholme TV Channel today. I was going to film it earlier in the week but the sun made it very difficult as it is a throwing and catching challenge so I think today will be a good day - check out the tv channel and see if you can complete all 6 levels of my challenge today.
Have any of you created a timetable to fit work and fun in to your day? I would love to see them if you have to see how you are organising your day.
1. create a timetable if you haven't already
2. Complete the daily White Rose Maths Lesson - you can go back to previous lessons on here too - https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-6/
3. Scroll through this page and choose one of the previous challenges that you haven't done yet.
4. Login to Mathletics
Have a great day and I will be back tomorrow with a new challenge.
Miss Devey here! Hope you're all keeping well! I'm missing all of your smiling faces!
I've set you a little challenge above. Can you find the correct code to unlock the padlock? Follow the clues carefully.
Send your answers in to Miss Stalker and I will share the correct code next week. Good luck!
Wednesday 22nd April 2020
Morning, 6S. Have you been outside today? It is like stepping out on a Summer holiday - it is fantastic and so warm!
I actually managed to go for a run last night - my first in over a year and Mrs Price ran at the same time as me from her own house so we completed a virtual run - I ache today though.
Well done to all the children who have logged on to Mathletics - 13 of you have already earned points and we have two bronze award winners already who have earned over 1000 points in a couple of days - you can find your certificates on the class page by clicking on the calculator icon Continue going on as often as you can. If you want different questions or problems, just email me and ask as I have a whole resource bank that I can get new problems from and add them to your assigned tasks. If you are going on Live Mathletics, which is great to compete against other mathletes, then make sure you change the level to suit your abilities - I would start on level 4 and move your way up or down from there depending on how you find it. Good luck - I will keep looking at your points to see how you are getting on.
What are your plans today? Hopefully, you are finding time to fit some academic work in (outside preferably) and I would definitely recommend creating yourself a timetable for the week or each day so you get a mixture of Maths, English, Reading, PE, Art/creativity, Science and Topic in to your week. This way, you can fit short bursts of work in alongside lots of family fun and relaxation time. It doesn't have to be lots but it is worth keeping up with everything you had learned in class before lockdown so that you will remember it when you go to high school. I would definitely start with your daily Maths starter and Maths lesson with White Rose - you can find them here https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-6/
You might want to write down all the angle facts you know first:
angles in a straight line = ?
angles in a triangle = ?
angles around a point = ?
opposite angles are the same
angles in a quadrilateral = ?
Check out the website for lots of ideas and activities
This is one we have done before at school - I would like you to have a go at creating your own orienteering course for your family. All you need is up to 15 pieces of card board with numbers 1-15 written at the top. Choose to have a SPaG or Maths theme and write 15 different questions - one for each piece of card board. Hide the card board markers around the garden and the house and race to find them all and answer the questions. Come back together as a family and mark the answers together - who is the orienteering champion in your house? You could use your SAT Buster books for example questions if you are struggling for ideas.
Let me know how you get on and pictures of your questions would be great.
Have a great day,
Tuesday 21st April 2020
Hello!! How beautiful the weather is today! What a wonderfully sunny day it is! (Just keeping familiar with the use of an explanation - how many can you use today?)
on a serious note, I honestly cannot believe how lucky we are with the weather at the moment. Thank you for all those who got in touch via email yesterday - it made my day.
I have a couple of challenges today.
1. carry out a random act of kindness around your home - take a picture or video your kindness and send it to me so I can share it and inspire others to do the same.
2. Login to Mathletics and complete 3 of the assigned tasks and play Mathletics live. It would be fantastic if the whole class could login to mathletics live at the same time and all compete against each other - let’s see if we can do it. Login at 2pm today and challenge each other. Can we get a class champion? Send this to all your friends incase some children don’t read it in here.
Have a great day.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Monday 20th April 2020
Morning, 6S. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter at home. Today is quite an emotional day as it should have been our first day back in class after 2 weeks off for the Easter holidays. Unfortunately, we are going to have to wait a little longer before we all see each other again - as long as you are all staying safe and well though that is all that matters.
You can always rely on me to keep you all busy so don't worry :)
Don't forget to have a good look on our class page as there are so many ideas and they are all interesting ideas that will help you practise all the Maths and English skills you have developed in class as well as Topic based activities too.
I have three challenges for you today .
1. I would like you to spend some time writing a letter (or an email) to a loved one who you have not been able to see for a while due to the lockdown. If you have already written a letter to someone, then choose another loved one to write to this time. I have already written a letter to my grandad, who is in a care home, and the carers read it to him and it made them all cry with happiness as my grandad was extremely happy to have received the letter and the contents of the letter made him laugh :) It was lovely to know that my letter was able to put big smiles on people's faces during this time and I am sure your letters will do the same :)
2. I would like you to complete today's lesson on the White Rose Home Learning site https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-6/. They all start with a flashback 4 to get you warmed up and then this week's lessons are on angles - they are brilliant and will keep your fantastic Maths skills up while you are at home! We Maths!!
3. Email your teacher to let her know you are safe and happy as she is missing you all
Have fun completing your challenges today. Please send me pictures of your letters and of you completing the Maths lesson. I would absolutely love to hear from you all.
Have a great day,
Tuesday 14th April
Hello, 6S. I hope you had a wonderful Easter Weekend and have all eaten far too much chocolate like I certainly have - no surprise there, you know how much I love my chocolate 😃
I thought I would leave you with a selection of challenges to do over the rest of your ‘Easter holidays’ so here they are:
1. Write a diary extract which includes what the current developments and situations are with the lockdown, virus, your home learning, home entertainment and emotions - don’t forget, this could be used in history lessons in years to come!
2. Write a book review which gives a summary of the plot, your opinion on characters and events etc
3. download the chatterpix app (free) and have fun exploring using the app to conduct an interview or create a fact file about a significant person to you - this could be a family member, a historian or anyone you admire/look up to.
4. Times Tables Rockstars
Have fun completing these challenges 6S. Missing you lots and can’t wait to hear from you all very soon. Email me any completed challenges so I can share your work on our webpage.
Speak to you soon,
Miss Stalker 😃🌈
Thursday 9th April
Hellooooooooooooooo! It is Thursday and clap for NHS and key workers day again. I hope to hear all your claps and cheers at 8pm tonight :)
How is your week so far? I hope you are looking forward to the Easter weekend which starts tomorrow.
Now is a perfect time to continue with yesterday's challenge - the hard-boiled egg design and I would highly recommend having an egg rolling competition with your family - I used to love doing this when I was younger with my family and Gareth and I will be doing it this weekend too! Make sure you send me pictures!
A very big, and yet sarcastic , thank you to Eva for challenging me to hula hoop for a whole minute - I honestly think I must've told her in the past that I CANNOT hula hoop (YET)! However, I am not going to be defeated and I will accept the challenge - she may be waiting about a year for the challenge completion video!! If you can think of any other sports challenges for me to have a go at, let me know via email :)
Ok, so today's challenge is quite a broad and selective one as I challenge you to spend the bank holiday weekend completing some of the Easter challenges set by Mrs Price and sending pictures in to either me or Mrs Price. Also, I would like you to spend time on times tables rockstars to get us to the top of the leaderboard.
Another tables challenge is times tables with a twist: ask your parents to give you times tables questions but instead of saying the answer, shout out the number pair to make a hundred from the answer e.g. 7x6 (42) = 58 because 42 + 58 =100 ;)
How quickly can you work out the times table fact then the complement to 100?
Spend the weekend having a go and I will be back on Tuesday next week to see how you are getting on.
We look forward to hearing from you all.
Have a lovely Easter weekend and I will speak to you all again soon.
Wednesday 8th April
Morning 6S, sorry I am a little later than usual today (I slept in 🤭🤦♀️) but I’m here now and I have set you a maths puzzle on the main page of our website just to keep your maths brains thinking! I hope you are all ok and are enjoying your Easter holidays. We are very lucky with the weather so again I hope you are all making the most of it and getting outside in your gardens or for your daily exercise. I didn’t manage my run yesterday but I did manage a walk to check out a route so hopefully I’ll be able to get a run in by the end of the week!
Thank you and well done to the children who completed the Easter message challenge. I loved receiving your pictures and they are now saved on our website.
This challenge has been suggested on the school Facebook page and it is to decorate a hard boiled egg to create your own character and then write a story or produce a comic strip with your egg as the main character 😃 🥚
You can find all the Easter challenges on the school Facebook page.
Have a great day, 6S.
See you all soon,
Miss Stalker 😃🐥
Tuesday 7th April
Good morning 6S. It is another beautifully sunny day and I am hoping you are going to spend lots of it outside. Thank you to the children who emailed me yesterday - my face really does light up with happiness when I open my emails to see your messages. If you haven't been in touch yet, or if you want to get in touch again ( I do not mind how often you email), I can't wait to hear from you. Send me pictures of the work you have done, videos of you completing any challenges (have you tried my tennis challenge on Torrisholme TV? It is pretty tricky!) or just general messages to say hello - I really do look forward to hearing from you all.
I am hoping to get out for a run later today (for my daily exercise) but it will be my first run in over a year so I am quite nervous - wish me luck!
As I am hoping you will be spending lots of time in your gardens today, your challenge is to use items around the garden or the house (stones, leaves, straws etc) to write an Easter message to me, your family or friends and take a picture of your message (ideally from a bird's eye view) and send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org
I will post the messages on the class page for everyone to see :)
Have a wonderful day 6S and I will speak to you soon.
Monday 6th April
Hiya, I hope you all had a lovely weekend. It is officially the Easter Holidays - woohooo!! It is another sunny day - I don't know about you, but waking up to the sun shining and birds tweeting really puts a huge smile on my face .
I would like to say a big thank you to all the children who have emailed me. It is great to hear from you as believe it or not, I am missing you all lots and lots.
If you haven't seen it already, check out the Torrisholme Staff video which was put on the school facebook page last night ;)
How did you get on with the art challenge on Friday? If you missed it, don't worry, the challenge is still written above and can still be completed and sent to me. All drawings will be put on the website to inspire lots of other children.
OK, over to today's challenge. As it has been a whole 2 weeks now since you haven't been at school, I am sure you have experienced all sorts of mixed emotions and I would like you to get these emotions down on paper through a poem.
Choose a feeling, which you have experienced recently or are feeling right now, write down your ideas and then turn your ideas into a powerful poem - this could be serious or funny, it is up to you :) If you find writing poetry in verses difficult, then why not try an acrostic poem - write a line starting with each letter of your chosen emotion.
I have attached an image of an example poem below.
Don't forget to check for Easter challenges which are being set by Mrs Price, continue to check Torrisholme TV for stories, sports challenges, riddles etc and continue to write your diary reporting events as they unfold on a daily basis.
I hope you all have a great day and I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
See you soon
Friday 3rd April 2020
Good morning, 6S success – it’s Fri-yay!! I hope you have all had a wonderful week at home and are staying safe and well. I am missing all your smiley faces very much but I am hoping we can stay in touch and connected through this webpage and the class email address. I was in school last week which was a very bizarre experience without all of you there and it was hard to not have the usual routine but it was lovely to be able to get outside in the sunshine and do lots of sporting activities.
Today, I am going to be brave and video my first sporting challenge for the Torrisholme TV Channel - wish me luck! It will be uploaded later on today so take a look and have a go at the challenge.
Every morning, I will check in with you all on here and include a challenge of the day which will keep you busy as well as completing the following daily activities:
WOW there is a lot there to keep you busy every day! I won't put this list on here everyday but it may be worth having a look at it daily to remind yourself of the activities you could be doing. There are also many more links to activities on the class page - just keep scrolling through them all and choosing different activities to do each day.
Today, as it is the first day of our daily challenges, I have decided to make it a creative one. We are going to use the following website to draw with Rob Biddulph who is an award-winning author and illustrator - http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob. Choose which character you want to draw and start being creative!
Once you have finished, here are a few suggested activities you could do involving your new friend:
Have fun drawing with Rob and I can’t wait to be sent all your wonderful artwork which I can put on our webpage.
Have a wonderful Friday everyone.
I will be back on Monday with your next challenge!