At Torrisholme Primary School, we believe PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities.
These physical activities include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities.
PE promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills, and it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle.
Thus, we enable the children to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
Our objectives in the teaching of PE are to:
• enable children to develop and explore a range of sports and physical skills with increasing control and coordination;
• encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations;
• develop the way in which children perform skills, and apply rules and conventions, for different activities;
• show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance;
• teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise;
• develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity and sport through creativity and imagination;
• develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of sports and physical activities, and how to evaluate their own success.